Monday, September 8, 2008

The First Rule of Toddler Fight Club is Don't Tell Your Mommy or Daddy





Today was Cinderella's first day of Pre-K. She's been going to all-day preschool since forever, so it was probably more of a big deal for me than for her. When the teacher was about to lead her away to the classroom Cinderella asked me if I could stay with her. I said no. Instead of crying, she just kissed my cheek and told me to have a good day at work (cue "Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon..."). I could tell she liked it because she didn't want to leave when I came to pick her up.

The building is only a few years old, and only a couple of the people working at the school look like scary people who will try to boil my child into stew and eat her. Plus, since it's public, it's about half the cost of the private preschool we were sending her too.

My real relief is that we don't send her to this wonderful Methodist Church preschool in Fayetteville, Arkansas where two teachers recently lost their jobs because they were forcing 3 and 4-year olds to fight each other during "circle time."

Julie Munsell, spokesman for the state Department of Human Services, said the fighting is said to have involved punching, kicking and pushing as part of “a game,” and that the department is investigating under terms of the church’s child-care license.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like getting them started early. It's a dog eat dog world and the sooner they know that....

Just kidding. It doesn't get much easier when they get older, to leave them off for school. I get weepy when I hear Kenny Chesney's "There goes my life" song. Blonde and bouncing curls gets me everytime...

Anonymous said...

Gosh honey, maybe mike has a point there!

Can you imagine the advantage that might accrue were she able to kick every other kid's ass?

By the way, in addition to those dance classes let's not forget the Tae Kwon Do lessons.

Worried Dad said...

I'm starting to see everyone's point. Let's tell the teacher she should offer beginning and advanced shiv-making. "Hey kids-- more fun with Popsicle sticks today!"