Monday, August 4, 2008

My inability to get my kid to sleep early will make her fat






My daughter, Cinderella, has so far been the victor in the ongoing bedtime battle. It doesn't help much that The Wife and I are night owls (actually, I'm a night owl, she's descended from vampires).

I'm not so good with the whole setting strict limits thing, for the most part. The family motto is "Put the [insert dangerous object] down and nobody gets hurt." Apparently, this isn't good enough to get me a fatherhood medal. It seems that my inability to turn Cinderella into Sleeping Beauty is dramatically increasing her chances of joining the national childhood obesity craze that's sweeping the nation.

Several studies by people in white coats from New Zealand and England point to what appears to be a clear link between the lack of sleep and the rise of childhood obesity. In one study, researchers following 13,000 children made the shocking discovery that children who sleep less tend to spend less time playing outdoors and have less energy for active play. More worryingly, they say that it appears that lack of sleep may alter children's hormones, leading them to overeat, and seek out the worst kinds of food.

Another smaller study of 591 children found that "children who slept an average of less than nine hours a night had a 3.34% increase in body fat compared with those who slept more than nine hours." The researchers noted that shortchanging your kid's sleep led to a three-fold increase in their risk of becoming obese, independent of the amount of exercise they got or the amount of television they watched.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Excellent use of Fernando Botero. I also love "the national childhood obesity craze that's sweeping the nation"--it is like that!

I still want you to write for me.

Worried Dad said...

Hi Ruth,

Right. And I still want to write for you. Home internet has been a little dicey (why does everyone use passwords for their wireless? Tools). Keep bugging me if I don't get back to you in the next few days.

Anonymous said...

Getting mine to sleep is not the problem. Getting them to get up is mine. They'll sleep until noon if I let them. My wife says it's because they're growing. They keep that up they'll be GIANTS.