Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chicago Says Goodbye To BPA Plastics




As I reported last September, plastics are scary. Specifically, Bisphenol A, also known as BPA. Independent researchers in white coats, the stuff found in everything from baby bottles to, well, water bottles, and can leach out with repeated uses, cleanings, etc. Researchers claim it is linked to birth defects, early onset of puberty, miscarriages, and other scary things.

For its part, the plastics industry has tried to get everyone to worry about other stuff, like swine flu, and exploding toy helicopters (okay, that was me, but I'm sure they didn't object).

So back in September I said it was time for the government to do something. Well, they have. At least Chicago's government has. Last week they became the first city in the country to outlaw BPA. Here's hoping others follow suit.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Thank God the city of Chicago is keeping up with your blog. Now we need the other major cities to follow suit. I'll do what I can to help....

Bijoux said...

I just got one of those forward e-mails where Sheryl Crowe claims she got cancer from plastic water bottles sitting in her tour bus getting warm. Cuz we can now pinpoint exactly how we get our cancers??

Anonymous said...

Dan, you're so funny! I love the influence you wield...