Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Alfalfa Sprouts Will Kill You







I always remember when I first left the East Coast for California for college so many years ago (How long ago? Let's just say that I brought an electric typewriter with me). I was a stranger in a strange land but I was pleased to see that the sandwich shop I had walked into offered Pastrami. In my religion, you eat Pastrami on rye (or marble rye if you're feeling a little crazy), put a little mustard on it, and have it either hot or cold, and have a nice kosher pickle on the side. This is what I was expecting. Imagine my shock, then, as I was served a Pastrami sandwich with more sprouts on it than meat. As Colonel Kurtz liked to say "The horror. The horror. It really gets to me sometimes!"

So I really wasn't surprised to read that the FDA has issued a warning against eating raw alfalfa sprouts because of a salmonella outbreak.

Raw sprouts have been linked to several outbreaks of salmonella over the past two decades, FDA says. There have been 31 cases in six states since mid-March, and another 100 or so since February.

Anyway, I'm back on the East Coast now. Not a sprout in sight.

2 comments:

Bijoux said...

We had this outbreak a few years back. Fortunately, it's not something I, nor my family, will ever need to worry about.

Yeah for warnings against "healthy" foods!

Mike said...

Yeah, I'm stuck out here in So Cal and I'll be damned if they still want to throw sprouts on everything. I'm going to carry your article with me and start passing it around to every health food restaruant around here....